Once upon a time, Lagos was the city where Afrobeat stars such as Fela Kuti and Fatai Rolling Dollar cast musical spells under tropical skies. Backed by dozen-strong live bands, their words incited live crowds into, musically speaking, launching Molotov cocktails at the palace doors.
Nowadays, a flood of sugary Auto-Tuned anthems threatens to drown that rich musical heritage, but a small but growing group of musicians is fighting against the tide.
Read more: Afrobeat uprising: the musicians fighting against a tide of sugary pop | World news | The Guardian.
- Catching Up With Seun Kuti on “Finding Fela”
- The sound of young urban Africa is set to take over the world’s pop charts
- Here are the 10 best songs by Fela Kuti
- Fela Kuti: Africa’s Bob Marley – or an African Handel?
- Nigeria’s booming music scene: An interview with D’banj (Video)
- “I still want to play something impossible”: Afrobeat king Tony Allen (Photos)
- Nigerian musical Wakaa! targets Broadway after successful London stint
- Is this the year that African music will conquer the United States?
- Lagos calling: Tony Allen opens up Nigeria’s music scene
- The making of a musician – ‘Finding Fela’ by Alex Gibney: A movie review by The New York Times
- How Nigeria’s Wizkid fashioned a new sound that won global appeal
- Nigeria: The next big frontier for luxury
- African fashion frenzy at Berlin Fashion Week
- Spotify in Talks With Vodacom Over Music Deal in Africa
- Fifty years of Lagos. But what about the next 50?
- How Davido Became African Pop Music’s Fortunate Son
- Continental drift: Africa39, an anthology of writing from south of the Sahara, is too good to miss
- An interview with Spinlet’s CEO, Nkiru Balonwu, and Head of Business Development, Oye Akindeinde (Video)
- In Lagos, Nigeria, the 1% takes stock
- Check out the 8 Nollywood movies taking this year’s Toronto International Film Festival by storm (Photos & Videos)
- Failing all the way to success: Jason Njoku, Founder & CEO, iROKO Partners (Video)
- Why Africa’s Musicians Are a Marketing Goldmine
- Michael Ugwu is leading the Nigerian music revolution (Video)
- Nigerian duo P-Square represent Africa’s rise in the pop world
- The Lagos power list: 21 people in 21 million
- Uber is coming to Kenya, following launches in South Africa, Nigeria, and Egypt
- Goodbye Europe, Hello Africa: Frances Mensah Williams, Managing Editor, ReConnect Africa
- Microsoft and 88mph announce partnership to support startups in Nigeria
- Africa: The great opportunity
- Nollywood’s Must-Watch Director
- Nigeria: The World’s Most Crazed Soccer Nation
- Volkswagen moves into Kenya & Rwanda in Africa expansion
- Looking for an investment? African art is hotter than gold (Photos & Videos)
- The boom in Africa’s music industry continues
- iROKOtv: From ‘Netflix of Nigeria’ to ‘Nollywood’ producer
- Nneka: Nigeria’s soul superstar is back – and as outspoken as ever
- Viacom and Turner Targeting Africa’s Millennials With Multi-Platform Offerings
- Big-tackling ex-Springbok rugby player Cobus Visagie starts Africa fund
- Meet Wizkid: Nigeria’s Best-Dressed Pop Star
- Sony Music seeks Nigeria streaming growth to build on ringback market