Abidjan, Ivory Coast
Some of the largest private equity investors in sub-Saharan Africa are considering expanding into Ivory Coast, a country that is currently experiencing an economic renaissance after years of conflict.
Helios Investment Partners, the private equity firm founded by two former deal makers from U.S. buyout giant TPG Capital, is one of the firms that is currently considering opening an office in the West African country, according to Helios Partner and Chief Operating Officer Henry Obi.
“We’re evaluating the opportunity to open an office there to capture deals in francophone Africa,” Mr. Obi said. “The political situation in Ivory Coast has changed and it’s become more stable, and I think the return of Africa Development Bank to Abidjan is going to spur all sorts of investments.”
AfDB, which lends to governments and businesses across the continent, last year began its return to its Abidjan headquarters after 11 years in exile in Tunis following the outbreak of civil war. The decision was viewed by many investors as a sign that the country was open again for business.
Dubai-based emerging markets investor Abraaj Group is also considering opening an office in Ivory Coast in the next three years, according to partner Sev Vettivetpillai. The firm, which has offices in South Africa, Nigeria, Kenya and Ghana and is also considering openings in Ethiopia and Angola, struck its first deal in Ivory Coast last year, investing in African Industrial Services, which provides engineering services to sectors including mining.
While the presence of larger private equity firms is rare in Ivory Coast, Emerging Capital Partners, a firm that has raised more than $2 billion for investment in Africa, is understood to be the biggest in the country. “There’s since been lots of investment by the government, the economy is booming again and agriculture is up. The country is on the right way to be back again at the top of its game for the region,” said Brice Lodugnon, a director in ECP’s Abidjan office.
Source: Private Equity Beat – WSJ.
- Dubai-based private equity firm Abraaj readies Nigerian fertilizer and East African insurance deals
- Africa the big prize for Abraaj private equity group
- Private equity firm Vital Capital plans $500M Africa fund as demand booms
- East African assets attract private equity interest
- Increased confidence in West Africa-focused private equity
- Into Africa: The continent’s Cities of Opportunity – PwC (Video, Presentation, and Report)
- Private equity power house TPG and billionaire Mo Ibrahim partner to invest up to $1 billion in Africa
- Abraaj-led group could bid for 35% of Barclays Africa
- Africa’s Private Equity Promise And What It Can Deliver
- Concrete strides: Sub-Saharan Africa’s infrastructure potential
- GE books $2.5B in African orders from oil to locomotives, beating 2018 target by $500M
- Private equity firms builds war chest to invest in Africa (Infographic)
- Bob Diamond has a rival as Spanish billionaire Alberto Cortina eyes Africa bank deals
- Private equity firm Abraaj raises almost $1B African fund
- Private equity firm Abraaj’s $990M Africa fund had more demand
- Venture capital funding for African tech startups is really taking off – here’s why
- African economies are through the worst of downturn, says AfDB President Adesina
- Private Equity Firms Bid Up Africa M&A Prices on Record Funds
- Private equity investors are getting hot for Africa
- Private equity firm Abraaj raises $1.3B for Africa investment
- Private equity firm Emerging Capital Partners looking to raise additional $750M for Africa deals
- London Stock Exchange eyes dual listings on West African capital markets
- I will continue working for the development of Africa: Donald Kaberuka, outgoing AfDB President
- Carlyle Group and TPG Capital make $100M bid for Kenyan coffee chain Java House
- Shop Africa 2016 (Report & Infographics): Knight Frank
- Sub-Saharan Africa & private equity approaches to enhancing economic development: ODI (Infographic & Report)
- Prospectors detect hidden gems for Nigerian private equity
- Private Equity House Emerging Capital Partners (ECP) May Sell Stake in Nigeria’s Continental Reinsurance
- Africa50 Infrastructure Fund raises $830M in first closing
- Compelling investment markets in Africa – Inside Riscura’s Bright Africa 2015 Report: Debbie O’Hanlon, Senior Analyst, RisCura (Infographics)
- MasterCard and Ecobank partner to accelerate electronic payments adoption in 28 Sub-Saharan African countries
- African Women To Watch: Capital Markets (Video)
- Africans Open Fuller Wallets to the Future
- Here are the eight candidates running for African Development Bank President
- From milk to roses, private equity investments in Africa on the rise
- Ranks of African millionaires swell
- Pan-African private equity firm Helios completes deal to acquire UK’s Crown Agents
- European Investment Bank Plans Africa Expansion Amid Growth
- Why I cannot tell ‘the African story’: Nancy Kacungira, News Anchor, KTN (Infographic)
- African pension funds a new capital source for private equity?