Self-made tycoon Ashish Thakkar, Mara Group’s Founder & MD, tips African talent for global success
From banking to hospitality and real estate to e-commerce, Ashish Thakkar built his vast business empire from scratch.
The Ugandan tycoon started small with a little computer shop that kept him busy after leaving school at 15.
These days, his Mara Group spans over 20 countries and he’s been called “Africa’s youngest billionaire.”
In late 2013 Thakkar joined forces with the former boss of Barclays bank — Bob Diamond — to start an investment fund focused on Africa called Atlas Mara. The powerful duo raised $325 million through a share flotation – well above the $250 million target.
Read more: Ashish Thakkar: ‘It’s Africa’s turn to shine’ – CNN.com.
more videos from African Business Central.
- Ashish Thakkar: Bob Diamond’s African partner in banking
- Former Barclays CEO Bob Diamond could gain millions from new African investment venture
- Barclays’ Former CEO, Bob Diamond, and Ashish J. Thakkar, Mara Group’s Founder, to Raise $400M to Fund Investments in Africa
- Bob Diamond and Ashish Thakkar’s Atlas Mara Buys 21% Stake in Union Bank of Nigeria for $240M
- Armed with fintech and fueled by data: Africa’s banker of tomorrow
- Bob Diamond’s Atlas Mara eyes three more Africa acquisitions in 2015
- Barclays’ former CEO Bob Diamond reportedly wants to buy the bank’s African assets
- Bob Diamond’s Atlas Mara in talks to buy Finance Bank Zambia
- Citi’s Head of African Investment Banking Miguel Azevedo preaches Africa’s growth story
- Why Barclays former CEO Bob Diamond is doubling down on Africa with his new investment outfit Atlas Merchant Capital
- Bob Diamond has a rival as Spanish billionaire Alberto Cortina eyes Africa bank deals
- Ashish Thakkar and Bob Diamond’s venture plans mobile banking push
- Barclays Africa ‘divorce settlement’ is not a sale deal: Maria Ramos, CEO, Barclays Africa
- Bob Diamond in talks to buy stake in Nigeria’s Union Bank
- New generation of African entrepreneurs lead the way
- African Entrepreneurs – A new generation leads the way: Financial Times (Report)
- Bob Diamond and Ashish Thakkar’s Atlas to invest $23M in Banque Populaire Rwanda
- GE, Mara Group & Atlas Merchant Capital partner to invest in infrastructure across Africa
- How to encourage innovation in Africa: Khanyi Dhlomo, Ndalo Media Founder & Ashish Thakkar, Mara Group Founder
- US-Africa Business Forum: An interview with James Mwangi, CEO of Equity Bank, and Tom Klein, President & CEO of Sabre (Video)
- Bob Diamond: Africa is best place to invest right now
- Bob Diamond’s Atlas Mara successfully increases stake in Union Bank of Nigeria to 29.9%
- CEO at Bob Diamond’s Atlas Mara exits company
- Barclays decision to pull out of Africa is a sign of the bank’s weakness, not the continent’s potential
- South Africa’s PIC in talks with Barclays on African business stake
- Mobile money, mobile banking: Africa’s telecom firms are becoming rivals for banks (Video)
- Innovative credit scoring in Africa uses mobile phone usage and social media activity to measure creditworthiness of individual borrowers
- Former Barclays CEO Bob Diamond preparing bid for Africa arm of Barclays
- Bob Diamond sells $200M Atlas Mara stake to boost holding in Union Bank of Nigeria
- Ugandan millionaire Ashish Thakkar’s Mara Group raising $100M to launch pan-African e-commerce platform
- As Bob Diamond readies Barclays Africa bid, South Africa warns on bank buyouts
- Safaricom’s M-PESA has Kenya’s government worried what happens in the event of a crash (Infographic)
- Here are 7 predictions for the African tech startup space in 2017
- Kenya sets sights on green bonds after mobile phone issue
- Kenyan banks are closing in on what they think will be the perfect M-PESA disruptor (Infographic)
- Kenya’s M-PESA vs. Bitcoin: Who wins?
- iROKOtv – The Netflix of Africa: Ashish Thakkar, Founder, Mara Group
- South Africa’s MTN bets on mobile banking with new CEO
- How Nigeria’s banks are innovating
- Nigeria’s Interswitch launches Verve payments service in Kenya