Swiss bank UBS AG appointed Brian Smith, former co-head of JPMorgan Chase & Co’s African arm, as the country head of South Africa and head of investment banking for Sub-Saharan Africa, according to an internal memo.
Smith replaces Sean Bennett, who is leaving UBS after 17 years with the company. He will take over from September.
During his time at JPMorgan, Smith oversaw all of the bank’s operations in Sub-Saharan Africa, including investment banking, corporate banking, transaction services, trade, markets, equities, investor services and asset management.
Read more: MOVES-UBS hires former JPMorgan Africa head to lead S. African unit | Reuters
- JPMorgan Says Kenya May Be Part of Future Africa Expansion
- Fast-growing ranks of African billionaires need bankers, says UBS’ Head of Africa Wealth Management Martin Emodi
- Ivorian Tidjane Thiam lined up to become Credit Suisse’s next CEO, becoming 2nd black CEO to lead global bank
- Profits and pitfalls on the private equity path into Africa: Hurley Doddy, Founding Partner, Emerging Capital Partners
- Africa’s prospects rise with tide of returning professionals: Uche Orji, CEO & MD, Nigeria Sovereign Investment Authority
- JPMorgan hires HSBC trader Lebogang Moropa to start up South Africa prime brokerage business
- Nigeria’s $1B Sovereign Wealth Fund Releases New Website
- JPMorgan plans Africa expansion even as Ghana and Kenya regulators refuse entry
- Kenya sovereign debut opens path for Kenyan corporate Eurobonds: JPMorgan
- Yvonne Ike, RenCap’s West Africa CEO, quits for Bank of America
- Well-Diversified Investment in the African Growth Story with Musikavanhu Tendai, CFA, CEO & Co-Founder, One Stone Capital Group and Old Mutual Global Index Trackers (Presentation)
- Ethiopia: Africa’s fastest growing economy plans to issue first US dollar sovereign bond
- Deputy Governor of Nigeria’s Central Bank Kingsley Moghalu announces resignation
- JPMorgan to remove Nigeria from emerging market bond indexes
- African Bank not a proxy for South Africa’s banking industry: Sizwe Nxasana, CEO, FirstRand
- Africa: Now a major player in emerging markets financial services
- Tidjane Thiam, Credit Suisse’s next CEO: The gnomes of Zurich bet on the man from the Pru
- Blackstone and Black Rhino announce appointment of Lamido Sanusi, Emir of Kano and former Central Bank of Nigeria Governor, as Chairman of Black Rhino
- How will US monetary tightening impact African markets?
- Nigeria Says Bond Due 2024 to Be Added to JPMorgan Emerging Markets Index
- M&A activity heats up in Africa as investors bet on growth
- African local bonds – an untapped opportunity?
- Nigeria gets World Bank guarantee for power plant to boost country’s supply by almost 10%
- Replace Nigeria’s patrimony of oil with the politics of hope: Kingsley Moghalu, former Deputy Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria
- Africa Telecom and Tech IPO Pipeline Swells as Growth Companies Target Public Markets
- Africa Comes Into View
- Armed with fintech and fueled by data: Africa’s banker of tomorrow
- Nigerian billionaires dominate African rich list with £49B ($78B) between them
- Nigeria’s Central Bank Governor Emefiele to reconsider FX controls as demand drops
- South Africa’s Naspers returns to bond market to fund emerging markets internet acquisitions
- Africa’s Richest Man Invests $4.6 Billion in Nigeria Farming
- Investors cheer Nigeria currency shift, want more
- Kenya Taps Debt Market With Five and 10-Year US Dollar Bond Deal
- Nigerian regulators intervene after JP Morgan bond index action
- Why Barclays former CEO Bob Diamond is doubling down on Africa with his new investment outfit Atlas Merchant Capital
- Nigeria’s sovereign wealth fund has ‘good year’ tapping dollar investments: Uche Orji, CEO, Nigeria Sovereign Investment Authority
- Ringier Africa and One Africa Media form joint venture
- South Africa joins emerging markets wave of sovereign bond sales
- Boots on the Ground: Investing in Nigeria
- What are South Africa’s fastest growing cities for millionaires?