Apart from three appointments – two spokesmen and a chief of protocol – there were no new hirings. It was a puzzling departure from tradition. Since 1999, every new president makes a cluster of top appointments – including national security adviser, chief of staff and military chiefs – within the first 24 hours in office.
On day 30, the Buharimeter showed four promises being “worked towards” Nigerians
were expecting the rip-roaring pace of a Hollywood thriller from Buhari, who had swept to office on 29 May on a heady wind of change. Instead, they got something something closer to the rough cut of a Nollywood soap opera.
Take the hullabaloo about asset declaration. During the campaign, Buhari promised to declare and disclose his assets. A law is already in place that requires public officials to file an asset declaration form. Buhari later appeared to backtrack, and many Nigerians marked it down as a promise broken.
Read more: Clock ticking for Nigeria’s Buhari | Columns
- Nigeria postponing February 14 elections amid security issues in the northeast
- Goodluck Jonathan vs. Muhammadu Buhari: Nigeria’s main political parties pick candidates for February 2015 presidential elections
- We will effectively deal with them in a few months: Muhammadu Buhari, Nigeria’s President-Elect, vows to stop Boko Haram (Video)
- Rehabilitated Buhari billed as answer to Nigeria’s problems
- Nigerian president Goodluck Jonathan begins re-election campaign
- Buhari vs. Jonathan – Beyond the Election: Chukwuma Charles Soludo, former Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN)
- Nigeria’s President Buhari announces weapons production plan
- Billionaire Aliko Dangote’s smooth landing
- Muhammadu Buhari is sworn in as Nigeria’s President in historic transfer of power
- Could Goodluck Jonathan lose next week’s election? Nigeria seeing shift in ethno-religious politics ahead of vote
- How the Nigerian electoral race was won
- Nigeria’s Goodluck Jonathan takes election campaign to key oil region
- Buhari pursues cabinet to boost Nigeria’s economy and battle Boko Haram
- Nigeria’s Goodluck Jonathan makes surprise visit to insurgency-hit northeast
- Nigerian Opposition Leader Buhari Arrives in London on ‘Charm Offensive’
- How Nigeria presidential challenger Muhammadu Buhari went from ‘ruthless ex-dictator’ to ‘weak leader’
- Nigeria’s incoming ruling party APC makes gains in state governorship elections
- Will Muhammadu Buhari be Nigeria’s next president?
- Nigeria’s Goodluck Jonathan to run for president again in February
- Nigerians must forgive Buhari’s past, says Nobel Laureate Wole Soyinka
- Nigeria’s Goodluck Jonathan slams Islamists abroad, is muted at home
- Now that votes are in, the dangerous part of Nigeria’s election has begun
- Central Bank of Nigeria sees pressure on Naira easing after vote
- Nigeria’s former president, Olusegun Obasanjo, quits ruling party in blow to current president, Goodluck Jonathan
- Buhari will release full audit on Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC)
- Nigeria’s ruling PDP faces state governors test after president ousted
- Nigeria’s Buhari nominates Fashola, Amaechi as ministers
- Aisha Buhari: a new style of First Lady in Nigeria?
- How my father’s jailer can offer Nigeria a fresh start: Lola Shoneyin, Nigerian novelist and poet
- Nothing is more important than bringing home Nigeria’s missing girls: Goodluck Jonathan, President of Nigeria
- Is this leading lady Nigeria’s next president?
- Nigeria: Changing of the Guard – Africa Practice (Infographic & Report)
- Nigeria’s APC wins landslide over PDP in state polls (Infographic)
- Smears and fears: Nigeria presidential campaign gets personal
- Nigeria’s cabinet: Seven people to watch in Buhari’s team
- Nigeria should curb president’s oil licensing powers, say lawmakers
- 5 Things to Know About Muhammadu Buhari
- Results expected in Nigeria’s governorship elections
- Nigeria’s Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) insists no need for vote delay
- Party barons on notice as President Buhari puts voters first