Trade and technology have fundamentally changed Africa’s economic fortunes and its profile as an investment destination for global businesses.
In recent years, the continent’s commercial relationships with the rest of the world have evolved away from a reliance on Europe and the US, towards a more balanced arrangement, where emerging economies in Asia and the Middle East feature more prominently.
Over the last decade, Africa-China trade has increased by 25 per cent, Africa-India trade by 32 per cent and Africa-Indonesia trade by 29 per cent.
Advances in technology have also allowed Africa to leapfrog development steps and break new ground in critical areas, such as mobile wallets where African innovators are leading the world.
Read more: Africa trade: a digital gamechanger – BeyondBorders
- Affluent consumers in Kenya and Nigeria are confident about growth: Razia Khan, Head of Economics, Africa at Standard Chartered (Video & Report)
- Kenya and Nigeria among world’s top 20 fastest-growing economies in 2015, says Bloomberg
- Smile Telecoms raises $365M from African investors to expand broadband coverage across the continent
- Number of ultra-high-net-worth individuals in Africa to increase
- Robust BlackBerry Z3 sales in emerging markets, including Nigeria and South Africa, may bring early return to profitability
- How fast is Africa really growing?
- Africa: Now a major player in emerging markets financial services
- High-net-worth individuals (HNWIs) from Africa set to double by 2025: Knight Frank’s 2015 Wealth Report
- A few things we learned about tech hubs in Africa: GSMA (Infographic)
- Why Diageo, PZ Cussons, and Atlas Mara are betting big on Africa
- Boosting smartphone use in Africa: Success strategies of industry players
- The BRICS alliance makes no sense at all. So what?
- Africa’s digital banking boom
- Nigeria will be among world’s 20 largest economies by 2030 (Infographic)
- Kenya named Africa’s best investment hub: Ian Bremmer, President, Eurasia Group
- Nigerian entrepreneur aims to plug energy project funding gaps with new startup
- Q&A with Charles Ifedi, CEO, Verve International
- South Africa is a hidden emerging market play: Philippe Langham, Head of Emerging Markets Equities, RBC GAM
- Why And How You Can Profit Investing In Africa’s 1.1 Billion Consumers
- MINT country Nigeria has a lot of exciting investment opportunities: Jim O’Neill, former Chairman of Goldman Sachs Asset Management
- 5 things to know about building business in Africa: Anthony Lewis, Director, Capital Markets, JLL Sub-Saharan Africa
- German tech incubator Rocket Internet, one of the parent companies of Africa Internet Group (AIG), plans 2014 IPO
- US-Africa Business Forum: This is the Moment to Invest in Africa (Video)
- How Standard Chartered is using smartphones to track consumer prices in Nigeria
- 4 reasons Africa is the rising star of the tech world
- Nine of the top twenty most interesting frontier markets are from Africa: Richard Leggett, CEO, Frontier Strategy Group (Video)
- Liquid Telecom secures $150M to extend super-fast broadband network in Africa that will be 5x faster than what is available in the UK
- Africa’s Liquid Telecom raises $700m in bond and term-loan issue
- Kenya’s mobile innovation brings digital money closer
- The fastest-growing mobile phone markets barely use apps
- Africa’s largest company Naspers to increase exposure to US tech startups
- Lions go global: Deepening Africa’s ties to the United States
- Africa’s Economic Prospects: Bryan Leith, COO, KPMG Africa
- Bright Africa 2014 – A guide to equity investing on the continent: RisCura (Report)
- Africa: The great opportunity
- South Africa’s Naspers betting on e-commerce growth in emerging & frontier markets
- Africa telecoms firm Eaton Towers raises $350M to fund expansion across continent
- South Africa’s Naspers returns to bond market to fund emerging markets internet acquisitions
- Nigeria leads the way promoting ridesharing in Africa: Ebi Atawodi, General Manager, Uber West Africa
- Armed with fintech and fueled by data: Africa’s banker of tomorrow