How Resilient Are Countries in Sub-Saharan Africa? Credit: Harvard Business Review/Frontier Strategy Group
The Most Attractive Markets in Sub-Saharan Africa. Credit: Harvard Business Review/Frontier Strategy Group
The past year has been difficult for many markets in Sub-Saharan Africa (SSA). Dramatic currency fluctuations, depressed prices on commodities such as oil and copper, and sluggish demand from China and Europe (Africa’s largest trade partners) have put pressure on the region’s economies. While SSA was predicted to grow above 5% year-over-year in 2015 at the beginning of the year, actual GDP growth is more likely to come in at around 3–4% year-over-year. Growth in 2016 is unlikely to be much higher.
As a result of these pressures, 2015 performance has been disappointing, leading some Western multinationals to reduce their exposure to the region, and a few are even considering leaving. Nestlé announced plans to cut its staff in some central African countries, while Barclays’s new CEO is considering selling off the bank’s Africa assets.
However, although some of our clients have been facing difficulties resulting from the current environment, primarily because of currency pressures, many others are continuing to see strong growth, even in troubled markets such as South Africa and Angola. For example, despite subdued consumer demand, new clothing retailers are moving into South Africa to tap the country’s underserved middle class. And despite government revenues having been hit hard in Angola, medical device companies are still selling expensive equipment to the ministry of health.
Read more: Sub-Saharan Africa’s Most and Least Resilient Economies
- Africa Report 2015 – Real Estate Markets in a Continent of Growth and Opportunity: Knight Frank (Infographics & Report)
- Compelling investment markets in Africa – Inside Riscura’s Bright Africa 2015 Report: Debbie O’Hanlon, Senior Analyst, RisCura (Infographics)
- Real GDP Growth Rates (2007 – 2017) of Countries in Africa (Interactive Map & Chart)
- Shop Africa 2016 (Report & Infographics): Knight Frank
- African Markets Guide 2015: Barclays (Report)
- Rate cuts & healthy FX reserves pave way for next bull run in Africa’s markets: Ryan Hoover, Portfolio Manager, Africa Capital Group
- Africa attractiveness program 2016: EY (Infographics & Reports)
- Africa Exchange Guide 2015: African Alliance Capital Markets (Presentation)
- Africa’s Prospects – Macro Environment, Business, Consumer and Retail Outlook Indicators (Infographics & Report): Nielsen
- The top 10 most active stock markets in Africa in 2014 (Infographic)
- Spotlight on Southern Africa Private Equity (Report & Infographic): African Private Equity and Venture Capital Association (AVCA)
- South Africa losing buyout allure to fast-growing Sub-Saharan African rivals
- 3 reasons things are looking up for African economies: McKinsey & World Economic Forum
- IPO Watch Africa 2014: PwC (Infographics & Report)
- MasterCard and Ecobank partner to accelerate electronic payments adoption in 28 Sub-Saharan African countries
- The 2015 African Retail Development Index (Infographics, Video & Report): AT Kearney
- Africa’s richest man plans to almost double the continent’s cement production by 2020 (Infographic)
- Why you should take chances: Marek Zmyslowski, Managing Director of top African hotel booking website Jovago (Video)
- Which African countries will see the greatest growth in millionaires over the next 10 years?
- FastJet seeks South African investors to fund growth in bid to become the “first pan-African discount airline”
- Here are 4 ways for American investors to invest in Africa right now
- Private equity firm Abraaj is interested in buying Barclays Africa (Infographics & Video)
- The mobile economy – Africa 2016: GSMA (Infographics & Report)
- Cheap Oil and Africa: The Winners, Losers, and In-Betweeners
- Africa property offers rich pickings for the brave
- The eight best-performing African stock markets in 2014 (Infographic)
- African IPOs Set to Double Capital Raised in 2016: Baker & McKenzie (Infographics)
- Africa’s millionaires are in Nigeria, Egypt, South Africa with some in Kenya too (Infographics)
- The top 10 most tourism-ready countries in Sub-Saharan Africa (Infographic)
- Top property markets in Africa
- Is there hidden value in Nigeria’s Stanbic IBTC?
- Across Africa, 3 in 4 countries improve business environment (Infographic)
- Kenya’s Equity Bank to expand to the DRC via acquisition in first step outside East Africa
- Economists share their 2016 outlook for Nigeria, Kenya and South Africa
- Africa’s megaprojects: 326 billion reasons Africa is on the move (Photos, Infographic & Video)
- Kenya’s Equity Bank plans 10-nation Africa expansion, says CEO James Mwangi
- Continental drift: Africa39, an anthology of writing from south of the Sahara, is too good to miss
- Expert opinion: Where in Africa would you invest $1 million?
- Africa Asset Management 2020: PwC (Infographics & Report)
- Invest in This Walmart of Africa?