Table of Contents
Private equity in East Africa
Deals by sector
Read the full report below.
The first ever dashboard on East African private equity deals has been released, another step forward in the quest for solid investment data on the African continent.
Put together by global professional investment services firm RisCura on behalf of the East Africa Venture Capital Association (EAVCA), the dashboard shows that Kenya is dominating the region as a hub of private equity activity.
Formed in 2013, EAVCA aims to foster private equity and measure its impact on economic growth in East Africa. “We specifically want to bridge the knowledge gap between the public and private sectors on the impact of private equity on growing enterprises,” says Nonnie Wanjihia, EAVCA’s Executive Director.
Recommended: Annual African Private Equity Data Tracker (Infographic & Report): African Private Equity and Venture Capital Association (AVCA)
“Although the numbers are still small, the dashboard shows that private equity is growing, particularly as some local and regional pension funds continue to take an interest in the asset class,” she says.
The RisCura-EAVCA East Africa Private Equity Deal Dashboard surveyed 16 funds, of which 13 are EAVCA members, and 63 transactions, which Rory Ord, Executive at RisCura says provides a fair sample. Of those, the value of deals in 2015 was $152 million, up substantially from the 2014 value of $52 million.
Recommended: Kenya has been #1 destination in East Africa for private equity investments over past seven years
Growth continues to be a theme, with just over two thirds of the 2015 deal value classified as growth capital. “This shows that the activity is not just about financial engineering,” says Ord.
Most of the funds that contributed to the sample invest more broadly on the continent than East Africa, and most of the capital comes from pan-African funds.
The dashboard shows that deal activity in Africa is highly concentrated in a few key sectors. 35% of the deals by value are in the financial sector, including banks, insurance and asset management companies. A further third are in consumer-related companies, including both staples and discretionary consumer spending. This is followed by energy investments at 15%.
“These three sectors make up 81% of investment capital,” he says.
From a deal count perspective, the story is slightly different. Consumer businesses still dominate the deal numbers with 40% of deal count. Financials is the second biggest category by number of deals, making up 14% of deal count, compared to 35% of deal value. No other sector makes up more than 10% of deal count.
Recommended: Investors increasingly turning to Africa’s private equity markets: Erika Van der Merwe, CEO, Southern African Venture Capital and Private Equity Association (SAVCA)
East Africa continues to attract interest from private equity firms and investors. However, due to the early stage of the industry there is a need to continually track deals to establish individual firm track records.
“The private equity industry will continue to grow if performance is monitored and communicated to potential investors. The fund raising done to date by the region’s private equity pioneers is commendable and should encourage new GPs,” Ord concludes.
Unable to view the “East Africa Private Equity Deal Dashboard 2016: RisCura and East Africa Venture Capital Association (EAVCA)” report below? Download it here
East Africa Private Equity Deal Dashboard 2016: RisCura and East Africa Venture Capital Association (EAVCA)
more analytics from African Business Central.
- Unpacking private equity in East Africa with KPMG Kenya’s Head of Restructuring and Transactions, Sheel Gill
- Private Equity Firms Bid Up Africa M&A Prices on Record Funds
- Spotlight on East Africa Private Equity (Report & Infographic): African Private Equity and Venture Capital Association (AVCA)
- South African private equity ten-year returns at 18.5%: SAVCA/RisCura
- Spotlight on Southern Africa Private Equity (Report & Infographic): African Private Equity and Venture Capital Association (AVCA)
- Annual African Private Equity Data Tracker (Infographic & Report): African Private Equity and Venture Capital Association (AVCA)
- Bright Africa 2016 – Private Equity: RisCura (Report)
- How do private equity investors create value in & from Africa? A study of private equity exits in Africa: AVCA & EY (Infographic & Report)
- Kenya has been #1 destination in East Africa for private equity investments over past seven years
- Bright Africa 2014 – A guide to equity investing on the continent: RisCura (Report)
- Investors increasingly turning to Africa’s private equity markets: Erika Van der Merwe, CEO, Southern African Venture Capital and Private Equity Association (SAVCA)
- Private equity activity in Africa at multi-year high (Infographics & Report): EY/AVCA
- Bright Africa 2015 – The drivers, enablers and managers of investment on the continent: RisCura (Report)
- African tech startups raise record-breaking $370M in 2016: Partech Ventures (Infographic)
- Building the Entrepreneurial Base in Africa: J. Eric Wright, Chairman, Africa Venture Partners
- Sub-Saharan Africa & private equity approaches to enhancing economic development: ODI (Infographic & Report)
- African fintech startups like Flutterwave and Paystack are raising record funds to drive financial inclusion (Infographic)
- Flutterwave, an online payments company founded by Nigerian 26-year old, raises over $10 million in series A financing (Infographic)
- Why Africa Remains Ripe for Private Equity: BCG (Infographics & Report)
- Compelling investment markets in Africa – Inside Riscura’s Bright Africa 2015 Report: Debbie O’Hanlon, Senior Analyst, RisCura (Infographics)
- Southern African Venture Capital and Private Equity Association taps Tanya van Lill as new CEO
- African private equity exits hit record high in 2016 (Report): EY & AVCA
- African private equity exits show momentum after 38% increase in 2014
- Private equity looks to East Africa for investment opportunities
- WorldRemit Africa revenue to double by 2020 on mobile money, says Founder & CEO Ismail Ahmed
- Private equity is an investment opportunity for growing African pension funds: Craig Metherell, Analyst, RisCura
- Fashion-conscious Lagosians switch to online shopping
- Venture capital funding for African tech startups is really taking off – here’s why
- Africa had record levels of private equity exits in 2015: AVCA & EY
- African Women to Watch: Private Equity (Video)
- African Capital Markets Watch 2015 (Report & Infographic): PwC
- South Africa’s Silvertree Capital to invest $10M in African startups
- Private equity firm Abraaj is interested in buying Barclays Africa (Infographics & Video)
- Africa in 2016: Angola’s public venture capital fund FACRA
- Investment in Africa’s tech start-ups on the rise
- African markets are ripe to absorb more private equity investment (Infographics)
- Private equity firms builds war chest to invest in Africa (Infographic)
- 26-year-old founder wants to transform online payments in Africa
- Kingdom Holding Company and PineBridge Investments Middle East Establish a Joint Venture in Africa
- Investment in Africa’s tech start-ups on the rise